Monday, October 22, 2007

Sumner Grant - A Changed Life

Over the years I had heard so much about our American Baptist Mission in the Congo. My congregation at The Baptist Church of Franklin, New Hampshire included Annis Ford, a former missionary teacher in Kikongo. When I was Executive Minister of American Baptist Churches of New York State, missionaries Dr. Dan and Miriam Fountain were members of Homer New York Baptist Church. Now I would finally see the mission for myself.

What a joy it has been! In Vanga I have seen the seeds sown by the Fountains. I was struck by the enormity of the hospital, and with my New York City perspective, when I say, "big," I mean, "big." The hospital with its ancillary services must cover more than 10 acres. I was particularly impressed with the rural health ministry. Medical care is extended to remote communities by trained personnel who travel by motorcycle to stations exceeding 200 square miles. And you wouldn't believe the terrain . . . dirt and rutted roads.

From Vanga we were flown to Kikongo in a 10 passenger plane owned by Mission Aviation Fellowship. There we saw the work of Glen and Rita Chapman and Mike Lowrey. The Pastor's Training Institute is amazing. Pastors and spouses are schooled for three years. They learn not only theology, counseling, teaching and church administration; but also life skills and nutrition.

So, what I had heard, I now have also seen! And something has happened to me along the way. I have been touched. My life has been changed as my path has crossed the paths of our missionaries (Dr. Bill and Ann Clemmer, Mike and Jill Lowrey, Glen and Rita Chapman, and Catherine and Wayne Niles). But the biggest change has been effected by my contact with the people who have been transformed by their ministries. I can't begin to describe the feeling of love and welcome that has been extended to me . . . and our whole delegation. The Congolese people have made the love of Jesus Christ real. Though I am from America; though I speak a different language; though my skin is a different color; I have been received as a brother in Christ.

Nowhere was this made more real than this morning in worship. I was invited to officiate at the service of communion. As we gathered around the table and broke bread, I sensed the Holy Spirit breaking down all walls of country, language, tribe and color making us one in Christ Jesus.

1 comment:

Brian Grant said...

What an extraordinary experience. It must be an honor to be with people of such strong faith doing God's work. I can only imagine the unity felt. The work of ABC missionaries is truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing you story through the blog. I can't wait to hear more.